Thursday, July 23, 2015

Patron Picks! Summer Reading 2015 - Week 6, Part 2

Posted by Anonymous


Here's the last installment of book reviews from this year's Adult Summer Reading Program! We had a fantastic turnout for our first year of patron reviews. Thanks again to everyone who participated.

Reviewed by: Diana A.
What I Read: My Daniel by Pam Conrad
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: I like the story about a brother & sister. Also the brother died at young age. The sister becomes a grandmother she conclusion a story about dinosaur bones.
Story was very touching its interesting too. I lived in the west we were have desert, so reading about the Nebraska farm was is something different. I enjoyed the story.

Reviewed by: Diana A.
What I Read: Remnants by Robin Barcell
What It's About: I like the book it was interesting. It was a fantasy. It was something of the make believe. I like reading about mystery and fiction combine It made a book I would recommend to anyone to read.
Coming back 500 yrs. and finding that everything has change everything is gone. I find it extremely sad.

Reviewed by: Humberb L.
What I Read: Party Games by R.L. Stine
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: I liked the book Party Games because when I was reading the book I imagined myself being in the story and I thought to myself I'd be scared to death to play those games. What I thought about "Goosebumps The Haunted Mask" is what can a scary mask do? I thought the book gave me goosebumps when I was reading the book I couldn't believe how the girl in the story had these powers by just wearing a scary mask but I still liked it.

Reviewed by: Deb D.
What I Read: The True Story of Hansel and Gretel by Louise Murphy
What It's About: This book is a novel of war & survival taking place during the winter of 1947 - World War II. It follows the lives of children & adults who survived the Holocaust by hiding out in an ancient forest, changing their identity, participating in resistance movements & those who did whatever they could to overcome racism & war.
The heroes of this book are those who struggled for survival. This is an extremely important event in history that should never be forgotten!

Reviewed by: Deb D.
What I Read: Soul Healing Miracles by Dr. & Master Zhi Gang Sha
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: This book, although not an easy read, gave a variety of resources & techniques to approach meditation & spiritual healing. The author makes an attempt to bring Western Mind into Eastern Thoughts by incorporating multiple religious philosophies. This book would appeal to someone with a very open mind who is looking for a new way to heal the spiritual, mental, emotional & physical bodies.

Reviewed by: Deb D.
What I Read: Unnatural Selection by Emily Monosson
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: This book is about the constant evolution of all organisms & how environmental factors impact this evolution.
It discusses the use of pesticides, toxic chemicals, vaccines, antibiotics & other drugs to treat a variety of environmental issues affecting insects, birds, fish, animals & humans.
The information presented is useful for anyone concerned about the environment they live in. The heroes of this book are those who started addressing some of these issues over 50 years ago & those who continue to bring an awareness of these issues.

Reviewed by: Kristin B.
What I Read: Winter of the Ice Wizard by Mary Pope Osborne
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: The Wizard learned how to "see again" not only with his eyes, but with his heart.
It was a great adventure that is another to show how working together works best.
My oldest (7 yr old) has become infatuated with the series and has learned quite a bit from Jack & Annies travels.

Reviewed by: Kristin B.
What I Read: The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories by Richard Scarry
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: This main story is a great way to show kids how to cope with issues. The pictures really kept my kids interested in the story as well.
Having multiple short stories in a book kept my youngest son (3 yr. old) interested, because things just kept changing.

Reviewed by: Kristen B.
What I Read: No Mail for Mitchell by Catherine Siracusa
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: It was nice to see that the community thought so highly of the dear mail carrier.
When he fell ill everyone sent him mail and showed that they really do appreciate him.

Reviewed by: Phyllis C.
What I Read: Fear the Darkness by Becky Masterman
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: It was an easy to read & enjoy book. Kept you guessing to the end. A real unexpected ending. Sometimes the one you least expect shows their true colors in the end.

Reviewed by: Phyllis C.
What I Read: Broken Bonds by Karen Harper
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: I thought the book easy reading. Sometimes it made you remember thing like schooling that you took for granted was not always so for everyone. It also made you realize there was always someone who cared and tried to make a difference. And of course the mystery part was what made the book what it is. I always like all of her books.

Reviewed by: Phyllis C.
What I Read: Life or Death by Michael Robothan
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: I wasn't sure I would like this book. It was a new author for me. Most of the book I read are by authors I am familiar with. However they cant write them fast enough for me so I am always looking for some one new. This was very good - a little different from the usual. I had me really feeling sorry for who I thought was a criminal. A strong character & what he goes through make a very interesting & tense reading

Reviewed by: Phyllis C.
What I Read: Kickback by Robert Parker
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: The book was about a judge, and his unreasonable sentencing of juveniles to lock down facilities on an island. The judges proved to be corrupt but. the people of the town were too intiminate to do anything till Spencer & Hawk went to their rescue.
As always R. Parker came through with a well written, easy to follow enjoyable book.

Reviewed by: Phyllis C.
What I Read: Silver Thaw by Catherine Anderson
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: Silver Thaw was a book about an abused wife and child and the fears they had & how difficult it was to live. Until a gentleman & his family and neighbors helped them survive a very bad snowstorm & then continued to help them gain their freedom from the abusive husband.
I really enjoyed reading the book and following their gradual acceptance of everyone's help, although it was difficult to read about the HORRIBLE ABUSE

Reviewed by: Phyllis C.
What I Read: Unbreakable by Nancy Mehl
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: This book is about life in the Mennonite village the people encounter life threatening situations and their struggle to uphold their beliefs and still try to protect their people.
The book was easy reading and was informative about life as a mennonite and what they believe in!
I enjoyed this book!

Reviewed by: Laurie B.
What I Read: Cow Pies & Bases by Robert B. Coates
What It's About: I went to grade school with this author. His book was wonderful & as if I had written it because he described stuff just like I remembered.
The Yuma library got it for me on interlibrary & I really wish they owned it.
He went to a one room school for our last 8 years. Explained how it differed from a school in town, described his bike ride to school & who lived there. Names were changed, but I knew.
It was a farming community. There were 2 stores & a tavern on one crossroad & a school-church & cemetery on the next.

Reviewed by: Laurie B.
What I Read: Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: A wonderful book - only 3 or 4 pages to a sort of chapter. Had me in tears
Katie was in love with Matt after a different broken relationship. One day he said goodbye & a few days later sent a diary for her explanation
Suzanne & Matt were married & had a baby, Nicholas. A wonderful family for a year. But Suzanne had a bad heart years before. Didn't tell him at first. She was a doctor. She kept a diary for Nicholas. Wonderful words to her little boy. Then one chapter - Matt wrote in the diary because Suzanne had been killed by a heart attack & car accident. Matt sat by Nicholas crib & talked, but he was not there - killed too. When Katie finished the diary she went to find him. A neighbor told Katie he loved her. All turned out good - married & had baby.

Reviewed by: Laurie B.
What I Read: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: This is not my kind of book, but my adult granddaughter said it was so good: so I got it & kept on reading it. Parts were so violent I don't know how I could stand it. Terrible the things that man had to endure. Was an exceptional book though
Louis Zamperini was famous even before the war. He was a champion runner.
After his plane crashed he & another man were in rafts for days. Another man died & was pushed overboard. Rescue brought them into even more danger. One Japanese seemed to pick on him.
In 1998 at age 81 he carried the Olympic torch.

Reviewed by: Laurie B.
What I Read: Between Sundays by Karen Kingsbury
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What It's About: My husband chose this book for me not having any idea what it was about. It was wonderful & definitely started me on a new author.
Megan was a foster mom to Cory since his mom Amy died. She worked a lot with foster kids & got some football players to visit for a pizza party. Cory wrote a letter for one quarterback to give to another who he believed to be his dad. Then he met Aaron, but he hadn't read the letter. Went on like that & Aaron came more cause he began to talk to God. The other quarterback did that cause he needed to win for a promise he made
Finally Aaron was given a letter from Amy saying Cory was his son

That's it for the summer! Keep reading the Yuma County Library Staff Picks blog for more great suggestions from our librarians, and we'll look forward to featuring your input again next year.

0 comments: