Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Patron Picks! Summer Reading 2015 - Week 6, Part 1

Posted by Anonymous

Happy end of Summer Reading!! We had a record number of book reviews this week, so they've been broken up into two posts again. Look for the second installment on Thursday or Friday!

Reviewed by: Veronica
What I Read: The Winter Room by Gary Paulsen
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I ThoughtThis books is about a young boy Eldon how live whit his family on a farm. Eldon describe whit details every day at the farm. In his narrative Eldon look back on smells, colors and activities that they need to do. This book talk about the family values, how the family is more important than the friend and all together obtain the best results. Another important success is in the winter room that is the living room in his farm

Reviewed by: Veronica
What I Read: The Tent by Gary Paulsen
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I ThoughtThis book is hilarious, about a men and his son, they want to make money spreading the word of god, but they have never read the bible before. I like it is a good life lesson.

Reviewed by: Veronica
What I Read: The Contender by Robert Lipsyte
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I ThoughtI love it because in our life always we are a contenders. this book is about Alfred he is a teenager with a rough life. his best friend James going to jail for robbery and Alfred doesn't want do the same. Alfred decides he wants to be a boxer, and begins his training at Donatelli's Gym, after that Alfred went back to night school to finish his education.

Reviewed by: Mea F.
What I Read: The Blue Tattoo by Margot Mifflin
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I ThoughtThe Blue Tattoo was a wonderful read. The book expounds on the life of Olive Oatman. Her family was traveling from the midwest to California during the gold rush period. The journey for the Oatman family was treacherous; loosing friends along the way, depleating supplies. Just miles east of Fort Yuma the family is confronted by Yavapai Indians. The Indians massacre the family and take Olive and her sister, Mary Ann captive. The book discusses much historical events and history of the Native tribes in the area. Being new to the Yuma area, the historical value is as important as Olive's story. I appreciated the author discussing Olive's life after captivity, as well as, including writtings by Olive. I truly enjoyed this story, although at times the story has tragic lows. Thank you.

Reviewed by: Linda P.
What I Read: A Promise Kept by Robin Lee Hatcher
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: It was good she kept your emotions going thru out.

Reviewed by: Linda P.
What I Read: Until We Touch by Susan Mallery
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: She waits to long between series you forget characters until you're 1/2 way through

Reviewed by: Linda P.
What I Read: High-Risk Homecoming by Alison Stone
What I Thought: She kept you guessing right to the end who was really the drug dealer.

Reviewed by: Joann B. 
What I Read: Courage Stout by William MacLeod Raine
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: This was a good cowboy book by a new to me author

Reviewed by: Joann B.
What I Read: Tough Hand by Wayne D. Overholser
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: This was a different Western tale about a woman rancher, men working for her and driving cattle to market. There is a crooked banker and rowdey crooks, a hero that falls in love with the lady and helps her out. <3 Love

Reviewed by: Joann B.
What I Read: The Horse Creek Incident by Dusty Richards
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: A corupt town, big ranchers against settlers, killings and beatings, town being run by one big guy!! One guy (good) runs against current crooked sheriff, wins after hard work to have all good people working together. Lots of cold weather & snow.

Reviewed by: Tom B.
What I ReadCourage Stout by William MacLeod Raine
Find it at YCLDHere!
What I Thought: Neal MacGowen, a small rancher, has to take on a group of large ranchers, who are calling all small ranch, rustlers. Very good reading.

Reviewed by: Tom B.
What I ReadTough Hand by Wayne D. Overholser
Find it at YCLDHere!
What I Thought: Good story
Jim Sullivan works for beautiful Troy Manders, helps her move her cattle, to land her father owns. Jim helps her fight the crookes, and crooked banker, who wants her land

Reviewed by: Tom B.
What I ReadThe Horse Creek Incident by Dusty Richards
Find it at YCLDHere!
What I Thought: Herschel Baker, had a close friend shot in the back & killed, a crooked sherriff, controlled by a very large cattle empire, refuses to look into the killing. Baker, a small rancher, decides to run for sherriff. A very good, interesting story.

Reviewed by: Angela T.
What I Read: Father Knows Less by Wendell Jamieson
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: This was a funny book of anecdotes written by a reporter who wanted to answer the many random questions posed by his son. Instead of making up crazy answers, like his father did for him, the author takes time to contact various experts in the fields of study that the questions referred to. From astronauts (How far can a balloon go up until it pops?) to cultural anthropologists (Why can't I eat my sister?) these crazy questions and sometimes surprising answers will keep you entertained.

Reviewed by: Angela T.
What I Read: The Traitor's Wife by Allison Pataki
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: A Historical fiction set during the Revolutionary War, this book uncovers the secrets held in Benedict Arnold's household. His young charming wife, Peggy, along with her maid, shape the results of the trecherous dealings of Arnold and his British co-conspirator Major John Andre. A fairly well written debut novel, still had some cliches but overall, an interesting take on a piece of American history.

0 comments: