Thursday, July 9, 2015

Patron Picks! Summer Reading 2015 - Week 4, Part 2

Posted by Anonymous

Here's the second half of the week's book reviews! July 18 is your last chance to submit a review for this blog, so read away!

Reviewed by: Tanya N.
What I Read: Grey by E.L. James
What I Thought: What a refreshing twist inside a mans point of view falling for someone. I preferred his version over her 50 Shades of Grey. Very interested to read a story already read from another point of view. Puts a new perspective on the story.

Reviewed by: Tanya N.
What I Read: 50 Shades Darker by E.L. James
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: The basic story line is great. Imagine making 100,00.00 an hour. To be so rich and carefree with your spending. Yet being rich & powerful always creates enemies. I do wish authors would quit making women so insecure about themselves & having such a low self esteem. I do not believe that is an accurate description of most women in todays society.

Reviewed by: Tanya N.
What I Read: 50 Shades Freed by E.L. James
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: Much more exciting than the other two. I found she tied all three together. Story line was very rich and intriguing. Love is a powerful emotion that can control your life. I did however not care for the start. I would have expected much more detail in the wedding and I don't care when authors time bounce. And although story line was good the climax of the book could have been prolonged. Ana is smarter than I expected.

Reviewed by: Merrilie J.
What I Read: 81 Days Below Zero by Brian Murphy
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: This is the account of Leon Crane who was in the Army Aircorps during W.W.II, stationed at Ladd Airfield in Alaska. He and 4 others were testing a B-24 in Dec. of 1943. The plane crashed on a remote mountain - Crane parachuted out (the only survivor)! For the next 80 days he struggled, coming near death several times. He was saved by finding an abandoned trapper's cabin, fully provisioned. Ultimately he found a wilderness couple (with 3 children) who dog sledded him to a landing strip - It was a good book to read during our Yuma 100+ humid weather!

Reviewed by: Merrilie J.
What I Read: Dead Wake by Erik Larson
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: This is an account of the sinking (by Torpedo) of the Lusitania, a very large ocean liner in the year 1915. There were 1,959 passengers and crewmen aboard. Of these only 764 survived. It (the ship) was attacked by a submarine captained by Walther Schwieger, an ace submariner in the German navy. This incident (and many others of similar ilk) was generally thought to be the reason for the U.S. joining the Allies in World War I, though that did not happen till the year 1917. A "subplot" of this book is the account of Pres. Wilson's wooing of Edith Galt, who he married in short order. Her role in American history is another story, which I am now interested in reading of.

Reviewed by: Mary H.
What I Read: Memories of a Dirt Road Town by Stephen Bly
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: This was a light read - I enjoyed it - About a middle age woman going on an unplanned trip to a place she was at when she was ten.

Reviewed by: Mary H.

What I Read: The Mustang Breaker by Stephen Bly
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: A light summer read - The second book of a series about a middle age woman in Wyoming on vacation and her love of horses and the Lord.

Reviewed by: Martha F.
What I Read: The Fold by Peter Clines
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: It's an interesting story (in the "Mystery" category) with a lots of twist and turns - about a team of scientists has invented a device - they call it the Albuquerque Door. Using a cryptic computer equation and magnetic fields to "fold" dimensions, it shrinks distances so that a traveler can travel hundreds of feet with a single step.
It's kind of a sci-fi story with interesting characters, most of the time it was hard to put it down...


Reviewed by: Kile T. 
What I Read: Make Something Up by Chuck Palahniuk
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: I quite enjoyed this collection of short stories. Chuck P. has a unique style & voice. He tends to push fiction to the edge. These stories are all at once poignant, sarcastic, funny, disturbing, graphic & grotesque. Adventurous readers will enjoy this book & the stories within.

Reviewed by: Carol H.
What I Read: The Fault in our Stars by John Green
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: It was kinda sad but very good reading. I enjoyed it very much. Good book.

Reviewed by: Carol H.
What I Read: Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer
Find it at YCLD: Here!

What I Thought: I really liked the love triange with Bella, Edward, & Jacob. How they both want to protect Bella. The battles were insane, they get married, have a baby and its all good reading.

0 comments: