Monday, June 22, 2015

Patron Picks! Summer Reading 2015 - Week 2

Posted by Anonymous



Are you having a "super" summer? Here's this week's installment of book reviews written by YCLD patrons. Thanks to everyone who turned in a review.

Reviewed by: Jennifer B.
What I Read: Naughty Neighbor by Janet Evanovich
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: This was a short read of 229 pages. I liked it; but; I think the book should have been longer. Louisa is physically attracted to her upstairs neighbor Pete Streeter. He is a screenwriter and he stole Louisa paper to check out a movie review. Louisa is a secretary to senator Alan Nolan Bishop and is thirty years old. She lost her job and now is trying to help Pete Streeter solve a missing pig mystery.

Reviewed by: Christine H.
What I Read: Night by Elie Wiesel
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: Wiesel’s book Night is like a prose poem. Although a horrific poem it recounts his year in a concentration camp. Just fifteen at the time he and his family lived in Transylvania and it was near the end of the war the Jews of his little village were rounded up and sent to Auschwitz. Moved around in the very last days of the conflict he was moved to Buchenwald. Throughout their imprisonment he and his father had remained in contact now at the end his father died within hours of liberation.
He describes the hunger, the terror, the cruelty of guards and soldiers. But the greatest loss worse to him is the loss of man’s humanity to man. Even he at the end did not comfort his dying father.
He wrote the book so we will never forget. We should not.

Reviewed by: Christine H.
What I Read: A Conspiracy of Faith by Jussi Adler-Olson
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: If you are a fan of the Scandinavian writers Stieg Larsson and Jo Nesbo you'll like Adler Olson.
This is the 3rd in the series and I have devoured them.
They are gritty crime dramas with serial killers, kidnappers and spree killers. Not for the faint of heart But the characters are well-rounded and make you want to know more about them.

Reviewed by: Norah C.
What I Read: Historias de Miedo by Carlos Trejo
What I Thought: This is a good book, it had me reading and very entertain this book is about scary stories based in real life is a book of stories of Paranormal activities, I would read it again, there's more books by this author that I'm going to read. I recomend this book to all people who is interested on paranormal activities.

Reviewed by: Diana A.
What I Read: The Bone Chamber by Robin Burcell
What I Thought: Its was interesting. Had a lota of make believe fiction. I like it it was very interesting and kept me reading.
I like it also because it was a mystery & it was a fantastic book.

Reviewed by: Diana A.
What I Read: Iqbal by Francesco D'Adamo
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: Book was about children being sold into slavery to pay off parents debts which they are promise to return when debt is paid off but are not. They are treated bad espiacilly ones that are slow in carpeting work or other I thought this story is pretty sad. Children being treated bad and they never will be able to live lives as children should be. And the sad part is that this is happening still in foreign places and its call bonded salvery.

Reviewed by: Robin
What I Read: Farming by Gail Gibbons
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: There are different types of farming there are animal farming and crops farming. I like this book cause I have a cousin who does the same thing and does the planting with seeds. I'm lucky to have a cousin to work with seeds.

Reviewed by: Danielle O.
What I Read: Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
Find it at YCLD: Here!
What I Thought: This is the best non-Fiction book I've read (Scriptures aside) Atul is an intelegent & compassionate Dr. who guides readers through what it means to age and die, or die of disease. He tells of how to help the aging and dieing live their best life possible. I think everyone should read this book. Ive read it twice.

Reviewed by: Lance B.
What I Read: Longarm and the Night Raiders by Tabor Evans
What I Thought: Enjoyed the book. Author keeps you reading. Always a surprise how the character gets out of his predicaments. I highly recommend this series.

Reviewed by: Lance B.
What I Read: Longarm and the 400 Blows by Tabor Evans
What I Thought: I enjoyed this book. The author keeps you guessing. Can go from slow point to action packed in one sentence. Keeps you wanting to read more.

Keep the reviews coming! Anyone can "Escape the Ordinary" by reading a book.

0 comments: